[fpc-devel] Forwarded message about FPC status

Dimitri Smits smitco at telenet.be
Tue Dec 18 15:00:56 CET 2012

As Sven wrote, I guess the FPC community needs to think about this. XE2 already supported MacOS X (but through fpc). Haven't checked the OS-X in XE3 though.

As for the multi-platform: they are rewriting their compiler to be a front for llvm. Probably they will make a few code-generators and optimisations as well for the middle and back-end.

But I doubt the "bpl" idiom was or will get ported past Windows variants (if it even gets done in the new compiler format).

Don't forget that with FireMonkey^2, and a Firemonkey component model, they plan to tackle facade-type implementations to make Android/IOS an output target as well from the same code-base. As is today with the MacOSX target in XE2 and XE3, there are restrictions as to what you can use (i.e. must be firemonkey HD or 3D app if you want Mac or "x-platform", meaning 2 platforms ... well, 3 if you count Win32 and Win64 as separate :-))

That said, what is stopping us (the community) to at least start on this? a branch? core-buy-in?

kind regards,
Dimitri Smits

----- Oorspronkelijk e-mail -----