[fpc-devel] Forwarded message about FPC status

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-devel at telemetry.co.uk
Tue Dec 18 10:17:34 CET 2012

Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> This is why I decided to diversify, and why I will once again turn my
> attention to Java (not
> JavaScript-that-is-the-assembly-language-of-the-internet). Java seems
> the sensible route to go, for long term employment. There is a very
> healthy Java industry (stacks of jobs), fantastic tools (IDE's, debugger
> etc), and the rate of pay is fantastic too.

We have SPARC-based systems manufactured by Sun here, and I am dismayed
at the extent to which /somebody/ has been leaning heavily on web sites
who up till now have got away with harbouring copies of system manuals etc.

Right now I'd be extremely wary about pinning my livelihood to Java,
lest Oracle succeed in locking it down as their personal property. I
can't suggest any alternative, but I'd suggest watching IBM's position
carefully since they're undoubtedly thinking the same thing.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk