[fpc-devel] utf8 in 2.6.0

Martin lazarus at mfriebe.de
Sat Dec 15 19:35:58 CET 2012

I am trying to figure out how to do that, or what I do wrong. I found a
page about $codepage, but it did not help
http://wiki.freepascal.org/LCL_Unicode_Support
I didnt find the fpc specific page, if exists (I suspect it does)

I am calling a function "function Foo(A:string)" {$mode objfpc}{$H+}
I call it with a constant, that contains an german umlaut. Checked with
a hex editor, the constant in the source file is utf8

- If I save the source (in utf8), without a utf8 BOM, then it works fine
on windows.
- If I had a bom, then the string received by the function appears to be
ascii (checked memory dump in debugger "oe" becomes d6
- if I add {$codepage utf8} it also becomes ascii

If I do *not* add that, it seems something gos wrong with the encoding
on a PowerPC Mac. Unfortunately this is someone else's pc, and I have no
more info.
If I add it things also go wrong, only different. Again no more info.

I know the provided info, is very little. If there is anything obvious
then tell me.

Thanks