[fpc-devel] Please include gmp.dll in Win32 distribution of FPC 2.6.2 and later

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Sun Dec 2 23:31:15 CET 2012

Michael Van Canneyt schrieb:

> Is there not a native pascal solution for arbitrary precision math ? I
> seem to remember that there are several ones floating around, maybe we
> should simply include one of them.

I'm not really happy with ports of sophisticated C libraries. When
working on the Abbrevia sourcecode I came across a problem in one of the
decompression modules. After I found the problem inherited from the C
code, I notified the maintainer of that library. Oh wonder, he had fixed
just that bug a few weeks ago, after the module had been in use for more
than ten years! That's why I think that such libraries should be
maintained by their own developers, so that all bug fixes and
improvements become available immediately to the FPC users.

<OT>
I bet that beforementioned bug also is in the FPC (gzip?) libraries, but
I cannot remember where it's located. It's related to an illegal double
ungetc() in C code, which can occur in very rare situations, and thus
had survived for many years.
</OT>

DoDi