[fpc-devel] Please include gmp.dll in Win32 distribution of FPC 2.6.2 and later

Tomas Hajny XHajT03 at hajny.biz
Sun Dec 2 13:52:56 CET 2012

On Sun, December 2, 2012 13:35, Alexander Klenin wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 2:42 PM, Michael Van Canneyt
> <michael at freepascal.org> wrote:
 .
 .
>>> In short term, however, adding gmp.dll in 2.6.2 release will make it
>>> available at least
>>> for upcoming Russian Olympiad in Informatics.
>> Well, 2.6.2 is at RC1 stage, so that will not happen, I suppose.
> This is a simple file addition, it has zero chance of breaking
> existing functionality.
>
>> In the short term, it might be easier to convince them to install the
>> library on the machines that are used for the Olympiad. You can explain
>> the
>> problem to them as well, I suppose. If they allow pascal and know that
>> they
>> will be asking an arbitrary math question, they could decide to play
>> fair
>> and put the library on the machine.
>
> No chance, the rules are very strict in this regard.
> As for fairness, the usual argument is "just solve problems in
> Java/Python",
> which is exactly what I am trying to prevent :)

Who defines what is the right file to choose if there are multiple
options? We could probably create a special distribution package with a
'gmp' suffix including that library on our FTP server. It would not become
part of our standard ("mainstream") distribution, but maybe it solves your
issue anyway?

Tomas