[fpc-devel] FPC compiler architecture documentation

Florian Klaempfl florian at freepascal.org
Fri Aug 31 20:33:23 CEST 2012

Am 31.08.2012 09:32, schrieb Michael Schnell:
> On 08/30/2012 10:20 PM, Florian Klaempfl wrote:
>>  I doubt that a good developer needs such a document to get into the
>> compiler...
>
> Hmmm.
>
> I once thought about trying to do an fpc compiler for a not yet
> supported arch, and I still am interested in having (AKA contributing to
> such an effort) an "up to date" fpc compiler for as well 68K as PIC32
> (AFAIK identical to a certain version of MIPS32). I doubt that I would
> even be able to start, unless an up-to-date documentation of the
> appropriate parts of the docu is available.

The big picture which could be documented is the easy part. But such a
document can never cover all details and the details are the hairy part.
Like certain properties of the target architecture might be special and
not yet covered by the compiler thus they cannot be documented. They are
the challenging and time consuming part when adding a new architecture.