[fpc-devel] But what /is/ a string?

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-devel at telemetry.co.uk
Fri Aug 24 15:14:28 CEST 2012

I wonder if I could ask a silly question. My understanding is that
strings are pretty much unique in not being objects, and relying on a
fair amount of compiler and RTL wizardry to handle reference counting etc.

I note somebody at Embarcadero blogging [Paraphrase follows] "Delphi is
being enhanced by adding memory management features such as reference
counting".

Would there be any advantage in reimplementing strings as a tree of
classes, with the compiler doing appropriate things to change e.g. Pos()
into String.Pos(), UnicodeString.Pos() or whatever as appropriate?

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk