[fpc-devel] Unicode resource strings

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Wed Aug 22 19:52:30 CEST 2012

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 22:30:52 +0500
Ivanko B <ivankob4mse2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Even if you would implement something like the Unix "find" or "ls"
> programs, they would be more likely to be limited by I/O and all sorts
> of file/directory attribute lookups than code page conversions of file
> names.
> ============
> 1) I/O is heavily cached on modern a-lot-of-RAM machines & 2)
> conversion eat CPU & L2/3 caches & 3) conversion penalties grow
> rapidly on servers because of exausting resources mentioned in 2).

Although you are right that nowadays OS have highly optimized file
systems, Jonas is right too.
File functions are so slow, even on Linux, that both the compiler and
Lazarus uses its own cache for file functions. These caches require
each file name to normalize and doing binary searches with case
insensitive comparisons - a lot of string operations. The
speed gain of such a cache is noticeable on Linux, while on Windows it
is dramatic.
That's why I doubt that some extra string conversions are measurable.

Can we now return to the real problems?
Marco gave some examples.

Mattias