[fpc-devel] Unicode resource strings

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Wed Aug 22 16:48:04 CEST 2012

On 08/21/2012 02:53 PM, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> I have a program that does exactly that... Loads files to do CRC
> checking to see what changed.
Hmm. I feel that reading files takes a lot m,ore CPU time than
converting the stings at the border of the LCL.

This of course does not include converting the file content itself.

Here of course the use of the "default" string type might not be
appropriate, but - depending on the calculations - it might be useful to
use a string type that keeps the format the files are in or to convert
the files after reading and then do the internal work with the most
appropriate encoding.

BTW.: if the files are done in many different encodings, even using a
String type with fully dynamical encoding might be the most appropriate
solution. Another argument not completely forget about an (optional)
fully dynamically encoded string type.

-Michael