[fpc-devel] Unicode resource strings

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Wed Aug 22 11:35:17 CEST 2012

On 08/22/2012 10:56 AM, Mattias Gaertner wrote:
> The UTF-8 optimized functions needs UTF-16 versions. But why do you
> mean it needs a "really thorough rework"?
Guesswork :-)
> The LCL itself already has some widgetsets using UTF-16.
Yep. So there the conversion needs to be dropped, while with the other a
conversion needs to be implemented.
Thus Lazarus would get "compatible" with MSEGUI on that behalf.
> Strings speed is almost no issue for the LCL itself.
I do believe that you are right here (Martin very often offered this
argument when explaining why he built MSEGUI the way it is.
> But many LCL applications and packages would suffer.
Same issue as when Delphi made this move.

-Michael