[fpc-devel] Unicode resource strings

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 20 09:52:47 CEST 2012

Am 20.08.2012 06:52, schrieb Martin Schreiber:
> On Sunday 19 August 2012 09:41:48 Paul Ishenin wrote:
>> 19.08.12, 15:18, Martin Schreiber wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> In 2008 and 2011 there were threads about FPC and Unicode resource
>>> strings with the conclusion that FPC does not support them.
>>> Are Unicode resource strings implemented in FPC now? I did not find it in
>>> documentation.
>>
>> At the moment FPC resource strings are still ansi strings even in delphi
>> unicode mode.
>>
> Thanks Jonas and Paul.
> Please permit a little comment. All what was missing for good multi language
> Unicode support in FPC after Florian and Peter implemented widestrings (which
> were reference counted on all platforms at the beginning!) are Unicode
> resource strings. Now, many years later, we still don't have Unicode resource
> strings but we have codepage aware 8-bit strings? I don't understand the
> priorities.

Just to avoid confusion: The reference counted 2-byte string type on all
platforms is UnicodeString, not WideString (the latter is not reference
counted on Windows platforms).

The codepage aware string type was added to 2.7.1, because there already
existed a branch for this and "just" needed to be merged. There does not
yet exist any code for Unicode resource strings.

Regards,
Sven