[fpc-devel] FPC 2.7.1 r22088 fails with compiler error in fpdoc.

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 16 10:37:31 CEST 2012

Am 16.08.2012 10:32, schrieb Michael Van Canneyt:

> On Thu, 16 Aug 2012, Sven Barth wrote:
>
>> Am 16.08.2012 09:56, schrieb Graeme Geldenhuys:
>>>
>>> I always do...
>>>
>>>     make clean
>>>     <svn update>
>>>     make all FPC=<last stable FPC release>
>>>
>>> This always seems to work. I assume 'make all' gets translated to a
>>> 'make cycle' somehow? Or have I just been lucky for the last 5 years
>>> doing it my way?
>>>

>>> What's the difference between 'all' and 'cycle' options?
>>>

>> "make cycle" only works in the compiler directory and is used
>> internally by a "make all" to compile a new compiler in the correct
>> way and to ensure that it can compile itself again.
>>
>> Normal users don't need "make cycle".
>
> They do when using a trunk compiler. Not if using the released compiler.

The only trunk compiler they could use for compiling a trunk compiler is
the compiler that is created for that exact revision. Using an older
trunk compiler (even using "make cycle") is not supported and I don't
think it's good to encourage people to use an (older) trunk compiler to
compile trunk...

Regards,
Sven