[fpc-devel] FPC 2.7.1 r22088 fails with compiler error in fpdoc.

Thomas Schatzl tom_at_work at gmx.at
Thu Aug 16 10:21:06 CEST 2012

hi,

On Thu, 2012-08-16 at 09:50 +0200, Michael Schnell wrote:
> On 08/16/2012 09:37 AM, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
> >
> > You must do a "make cycle" in the main or compiler directory, with as
> > a starting compiler version 2.6.0.
> Never heard of this one =-O
> What does it do ?

"make cycle" is for compiling the compiler itself, to be started in the
"compiler" subdirectory. "Cycling" in this context means that the
compiler compiles itself a few times, each time with the recently
compiled compiler, to make sure that the resulting version has been
compiled with the latest version, and all current optimizations and
compile settings have been used.

"make (zip)install" compiles everything, i.e. the cycle + packages and
optionally gives you a nice single-file archive which can be used to
install fpc.

> > Usually, I do a
> >  make cycle PP=ppcx64-2.6.0
> >

> should I PP the compiler to be used to compile fpc ?
>

> Right now, for compiling I do
>
> make clean all FPC=/usr/local/bin/fpc
>
> and
>
> /usr/local/bin/fpc   is
> Free Pascal Compiler version 2.7.1 [2012/07/16] for i386
>

> Some time ago I used a dedicated (old) version of fpc to compile fpc,
> but after this did not work any more, I updated my script to use the

We basically try to guarantee that the current sources are compilable
(i.e. make cycle/make (zip)install works) with the latest release
compiler. If it does not work, it is a bug.

Starting with a 2.7.1 compiler, while often works, is not officially
supported.

> most recent version I was able to compile.
>
> Is this wrong ? Should I (like in former times) d/l a released version
> (2.6.0) and install it somewhere in a separate directory ?

You only need the ppcXXX binary. Get it from the bootstrap directory on
the ftp server, or extract the ppcXXX binary from a release.

Thomas