[fpc-devel] supported compiler versions for building stable releases.

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Sun Aug 12 23:53:19 CEST 2012

On 12 Aug 2012, at 23:44, peter green wrote:

> I have long understood that each stable release of freepascal is made to be compilable with the previous release but at a quick glance at the website I couldn't seem to spot any official statement of this. Is it indeed "supported" to compile a stable release with the previous stable release and if so is there a statement of this anywhere.

This automatically follows from the fact that the current development versions are always only guaranteed to be compilable by the previous release (which is documented at e.g. http://www.freepascal.org/develop.var ). A new release is nothing but a snapshot of a development version, other than a different version number (all other changes are also part of the fixes/trunk branch).

Joans