[fpc-devel] Breaking change in FPC 2.6.1

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Fri Apr 27 11:28:40 CEST 2012

In our previous episode, Ivan Bobyr said:
> But it's difficult to object to the below Martin's statement:
> ------------------
> Please change TDataset.Bookmark to tbytes = array of byte if you absolutely
> need to change it in fixes_2_6 so we have a bookmark type with automatic
> memory management again.

That's what he _first_ said. Later he didn't want to change anything at all.
Currently in 2.7.1 this (TBytes) is already done, I'm waiting for (testing)feedback
before merging.

> PS:
> If the main advantage of FPC over C/C++ is its automatic memory management
> then we should obviously use it, correct ?

Not all problems in programming are related to (automatic or not) memory management
:-)

Calling a virtual(!) method when a bookmark is no longer needed allows to do
other things too, like releasing something with db handles, and allows
descendents of TDataset to do such things.

But apparently I was mistaken about this (or at least how recent
freebookmark use was in the Delphi community). So let's just push it to the
current Delphi situation as quickly as reasonably possible, and lets forget
about the whole thing.

As far as the C/C++ vs Pascal comparison goes, FPC has as advantage over
mandatory GC languages like Java  that you are not chained to automatic
memorymanagement.  So use of it must be scrutinized.