[fpc-devel] minor issue building fpc

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Sat Apr 21 15:14:19 CEST 2012

On 21 Apr 2012, at 14:47, Martin wrote:

> Not sure if that is a known issue. Or considered an issue at all.

It is known.

> But on windows, if you specify the INSTALL_PREFIX with a trailing "\" (which afaik is a normal way to specify a directory),

I'm not aware of any standard for specifying directory names on command lines that suggests either including or not including a trailing directory separator.

> install will fail.
>   make.exe install  INSTALL_PREFIX=c:\FPC\tag_2_6_0\    FPC=C:\fpc\SVN\tag_2_6_0\compiler\ppcx64.exe
>
> The problem is, that in the resulting command-line "--prefix=c:\FPC\tag_2_6_0\ " the "\" escapes the following space.

The reason that \ escapes the next character is because of make's Unix heritage. The above --prefix parameter is just a symptom, the actual escaping problem already occurs when make interprets the command line you specified.

In summary: never add a terminating backslash to make parameters.

Jonas