[fpc-devel] On experience of using class helpers

Alexander Klenin klenin at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 14:32:11 CEST 2012

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 23:23, Sven Barth <pascaldragon at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Am 20.04.2012 05:41 schrieb "Alexander Klenin" <klenin at gmail.com>:
>> The bad news is that I have encountered 4 bugs and 1 missing feature
>> in about 10 lines of code :)
>
> Why do you need to test so much? Just kidding...
> I'm glad that you tested some of the things I didn't test during
> development.

Actually, I did not specifically test --
just tried to write code, it failed, I filed a bug and tried in
another way, and so on... :)

>> http://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=21809
>
> AFAIK Delphi does not support this either, because in the helper's interface
> you only have access to members of itself or its parents. If I remember
> correctly I have even tested code similar to yours at that time and it might
> still be available as a test in the tests directory.

Maybe, this is why it is a feature request.
Still, I think it is a reasonable one.

>> Unfortunately, I also have more subtle problems (run-time crash)
>> which I was yet unable to reproduce on a simple test case.
>
> Would be good if you're able to find reproducable cases.

It is reproducible, just not on a simple case --
see components/tachart/tachartteechart.pas, line 194

--
Alexander S. Klenin