[fpc-devel] Whole Program Optimization with FPC 2.6.0?

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Sat Apr 7 13:23:39 CEST 2012

On 07 Apr 2012, at 13:15, Martin Schreiber wrote:

> Thanks, where can I get that "nm utility" for win32?

Any distribution of the GNU binutils for win32 should include it. I don't have Windows myself, but I suppose the mingw site would be a good place to look for it.

> It is the MSEgui minimal program not the example.

Then that looks like a bug in the optimization (unless you e.g. use pointer hacks to directly read the addresses of virtual methods from the VMT, in which case there is nothing the compiler can do about this).

The crash you posted means that a virtual method is getting called while the compiler/optimizer thought that it could never be called from the program.

> Then I should try without symbol liveness information too?

You can try, yes. It shouldn't make a difference, but you never know.

Jonas