[fpc-devel] ARM native compilation (Toshiba AC100)

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 22 11:57:00 CEST 2011

Am 22.09.2011 11:48, schrieb Henry Vermaak:
> On 22 September 2011 10:28, Sven Barth<pascaldragon at googlemail.com>  wrote:

>>> If I were to build one, what can be done to remedy the problem? This is
>>> what I meant by saying "I don't know how the fpc team deals with
>>> this..."
>>
>> In that case the debug trace would contain the line information and thus the
>> problematic code could be spotted and probably fixed (normally in 2.4.5, 2.6
>> and trunk, if the error exists till today).
>
> Yes, thanks, I know how line information works.  Maybe I should state
> my question more bluntly:  What is the point of debugging and old
> compiler?

As I said: The official statement regarding compiling trunk is that you
must use the latest release to be on supported ground. If the promise of
this statement is not kept by reality then this is a bad sign.

Of course one could try to reproduce the problem using a trunk compiler
and then the fix could be backported to the old release.

In both cases (debugging the old one; using a trunk compiler) the target
is to fix the old release so that a new release based on the old release
branch (a hypothetical 2.4.6) would be able to compile trunk (or more
importantly the next release (e.g. 2.6)) again.

Regards,
Sven