[fpc-devel] implementation AVX for Intel/AMD Prozessors

Daniël Mantione daniel.mantione at freepascal.org
Mon Sep 19 08:13:28 CEST 2011

Op Sun, 18 Sep 2011, schreef Torsten:

> I do not know exactly which functions need to be changed. I'm hoping for tips.

You will have to be a bit exploring here; AVX is a major upgrade to the
x86 instruction set, and there will likely not be a few routines that need
to be changed.

First step is to make sure they can be used in assembler routines. The
assembler is largely table driven, so it you have added them to the
tables, a lot should work already.

Nevertheless, I expect that modifications are necessary in the both the
assembler generators (ag*.pas) and assembler readers (ra*.pas) due to the
additional operand that needs to be written/parsed.

Only when the point is reached that the instructions are handled well by
the assembler reader/writers you could start by adding code generator
support.

Daniël