[fpc-devel] Unicode support (yet again)

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Sun Sep 18 17:52:15 CEST 2011

In our previous episode, DaWorm said:

> > So instead of O(n) this loop suddenly becomes O(n^2)....
>
> Sure it does.  So what?

So much!

> The point is, it will do what the user expects.

No it doesn't. The user has no clue, and will just stumble on the next
detail (like codepoints not being characters).

> Like I said in my first post, this is an extremely complex subject.  I think
> trying to optimize user code before they even write it adds even more
> complexity, which slows implementation down.

As often repeated: IMHO users can make such decisions for their app logic.

The libraries (and most of Lazarus) can't make such speed and Unicode subset
assumptions, and they are heavy "string" users too.

And of course, finally, there is the matter with Delphi compatibility.