[fpc-devel] Unicode support (yet again)

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Fri Sep 16 16:14:32 CEST 2011

Michael Schnell schrieb:
> On 09/15/2011 07:39 PM, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
>>
>> Only when an application must *interpret* strings in foreign languages,
> With UTF-8 German is such a foreign language :(

That's why European users will be happier with UTF-16 (meaning UCS2).

An UCS2String type could be implemented to substitute astral characters
in the conversion from full Unicode, as is the well known procedure with
Ansi strings. But such a string type will only make users happy, not the
FPC maintainers ;-)

BTW, I actually don't know whether or where the FCL or LCL uses Ansi or
UTF-8, never came across problems with string encodings in my own code.
In so far I could live with UTF-8 in the future, and with components
that don't require different Ansi/Unicode versions and conversions.

The same ignorance may apply to POSIX filesystems, which do not have to
care about case insensitive (Windows) names and upper/lower conversions.
Everything a filename/path parser requires are unique separators, and
all these are SBC ASCII chars :-)

DoDi