[fpc-devel] Unicode support (yet again)

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Fri Sep 16 10:03:51 CEST 2011

On 09/16/2011 07:33 AM, cobines wrote:

> I understand that argument is not "easier to learn" but "easier to
> transition to from Ansi if you don't care to learn".
ANSI means: each element you get is a character.

With Unicode this is only (close to) true when using a 32 Bit encoding.

When using 8 or 16 bit Unicode encoding or (even worse) when mixing
different encodings, in case there are "simple" language features that
provide code bytes and not Unicode characters, life is obviously much
harder. This is true even if you never did any programming using ANSI.

So the only user friendly solution seems to be _not_ to provide "simple"
language features that deal with code bytes instead of Unicode
characters _at_all_.

-Michael