[fpc-devel] Unicode support (yet again)

Luiz Americo Pereira Camara luizmed at oi.com.br
Fri Sep 16 04:11:27 CEST 2011

On 15/9/2011 12:21, Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho wrote:

> Lazarus is literally being forced to implement it's own RTL...
>
> With the currently planned Unicode RTL it will just get worse, we will
> then need to either migrate to UnicodeString

No.

Lazarus can continue to use UTF-8.

Just there will be an implicit conversion when using those functions.
The overhead is minimum.

Lazarus is doing  the (explicit) conversion already for some functions
with no problems at all. In fact the code will be clearer

A conversion when calling those functions is necessary anyway because:

- if LCL changes to UnicodeString the conversion will be needed in unix
(UTF-16 -> UTF-8)
- creating own UTF8 RTL functions will do the conversion internally anyway

So no problem at all with the proposition of Marco

Luiz