[fpc-devel] Unicode support (yet again)

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho felipemonteiro.carvalho at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 21:07:19 CEST 2011

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 8:16 PM, Mattias Gaertner
<nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de> wrote:
> Yes.
> Or 3 - migrate LCL to UTF8String

Indeed. And we can aditionally provide UTF-8 versions of routines like
we do now for people to use, or alternatively people can also use
Unicode RTL routines if the extra conversion is not a problem for
them.

> The LCL uses TStrings. If TStrings is changed to another string type,
> then the LCL must follow or define its own class.

Well, I think the RTL should introduce a TStringsUTF8 at the very
least. I also need this to keep fpvectorial running in the Unicode
RTL. Will really everyone have to roll their own TStringsUTF8? This
would be really nasty because they would be incompatible from one
another ... Let's see what FPC developers think about this idea...

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho