[fpc-devel] bounty: FPC based debugger

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 10:52:06 CEST 2011

On 14/09/2011 20:47, dmitry boyarintsev wrote:
> really a standard in GDB (i can be wrong). But I've seen a lot of
> issues in Lazarus gdb-support, because of the different builds of GDB
> used.

Exactly the reason we need a FPC based debugger. Currently each Linux
distro includes a different version of GDB. DWARF features added to FPC
takes forever to be supported in GDB. GDB is just "foreign" on Windows
platforms - like all other GNU tools. The release cycles between GDB and
FPC (and Lazarus) are totally different. Nobody (or near nobody) that
works with FPC or Object Pascal, can help maintain GDB.

All things that can be improved on with a custom FPC based debugger.
Last night I made some good progress with my forked Duby. Over 50
patches since the fork, loads of memory leak fixes, class cleanup by
slowly removing those pesky global variables, finally have a working
breakpoint system under 32bit & 64bit Linux. I'm learning the code and
debugging internals as I go, but it's fun. :)

What really boggles the mind is debugging a debugger that is currently
debugging an application, using GDB. WTF!! :-D

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/