[fpc-devel] bounty: FPC based debugger

Joost van der Sluis joost at cnoc.nl
Tue Sep 13 14:09:19 CEST 2011

On Tue, 2011-09-13 at 12:59 +0200, Michael Schnell wrote:
> On 09/13/2011 11:06 AM, Jonas Maebe wrote:
> >
> > GDB is built for supporting multiple languages. E.g., its ADA support
> > has been much better than its C++ support for a long time (although
> > C++ support is getting fairly good nowadays too).
> Unfortunately it seems to be hard (or close to impossible) to work with
> the g* team(s) to have gdb (or gcc) provide Object Pascal specific
> features :-( .

An addition to Jonas answer:

There was a time that the development of gdb stalled a bit. That can
happen to any open source project. That had nothing to do with Object
Pascal features. But now the gdb-development is on track again and those
people working on it are really helpful.

I think the problem lies more in the fact that a lot of Pascal
developers do not know c very well. So they are not able to write
patches for gdb to implement these features.

That's why the idea of a debugger written in Pascal pop ups every year.
But improving gdb to fix the last glitches seems to be a better approach
to me. But 'we' are the ones who has to do the work. (As we should when
we would build our own debugger)

Joost.
--
My Lazarus blog: http://www.lazarussupport.com/lazarus/weblog