[fpc-devel] bounty: FPC based debugger

rdos at rdos.net rdos at rdos.net
Mon Sep 12 15:23:47 CEST 2011

> On Monday 12 September 2011 13:36:43 Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
>> On 12/09/2011 13:32, Martin Schreiber wrote:
>> > I think it is better to invest time into gdb support instead into a
>> FPC
>> > debugger which probably never will reach a usable state.
>>
>> [sarcasm on]
>> With that attitude the same could be applied to MSEide, MSEgui and fpGUI
>> too. Why did we bother investing time and effort into developing such
>> frameworks or IDE's, when the should rather have invested our time in
>> Lazarus?? Then again, why did somebody invest in FPC when we could
>> simply have used the de-facto standard Object Pascal compiler - Delphi,
>> stick to Windows (which covers 90% of the market).
>> [sarcasm off]
>>
> True. And because we know what it means to develop something new from
> scratch
> and because I know that I don't want to invest several years into
> development
> of a FPC debugger and because we know that there are not so many people
> who
> can make such a development and are able to *finish* the project I suggest
> concentrate on gdb.

Why would anybody want to concentrate on gdb, which is an ancient
debugger, that does not have a modern GUI integrated into it, and that was
not built to handle Pascal in the first place?

Every compiler / environment should feature an integrated debugger, that
can be compiled within the environment itself. That is the first priority,
which is much more important than an IDE and GUI. How else could people
debug applications?

When I selected an environment for my OS (OpenWatcom), first priority was
a debugger that could be built within the environment, and that did not
build on specific OS-features, but rather could be compiled for the OS in
question. A decent debugger must also suppport remote-debugging over
TCP/IP.