[fpc-devel] FPDoc and Lazarus

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Sun Sep 4 15:03:19 CEST 2011

Michael Van Canneyt schrieb:

>> Argh, such constructs are really hard to find :-(
>
> Not really, the error message tells you where to look.

Have a look at the lcl grids "How to..." topic, and try to find out
where a passage
  #text var #text
might violate any fpdoc assumption.

Even if I could reduce the error messages from 14 down to 3 messages
(shown above), I'm absolutely clueless with the rest :-(

It would help a lot, when also the *next* tag were shown, which requires
that the preceding text must be wrapped into an paragraph.

>> Now I tried again, using version 2.7.1, and the unmodified
>> sample-project.xml crashes with exception: Unable to open file
>> "dglobals.xml" :-(
>
> The sample project is meant as a sample for studying, not for actual work.

What's a sample worth when it doesn't compile or work properly?
Would you you have committed such a broken project, when supplied by
some user?

>> It's not really nice when fpdoc crashes with unhandled exceptions,
>> instead of skipping missing or invalid files.
>
> Skipping missing or invalid files is the worst you can do.

Only bad compilers stop after finding the first error.

> a) the output will be invalid anyway

The output will be valid, even if incomplete.

> b) you have no warning that something is wrong.

What prevents the exception handler from showing the error message?

> Consequently, fpdoc stops on error.

The only consequence I can see in this behaviour is lazyness of the
author, or inability to handle exceptions in a reasonable way :-(

> I assume you would not want the compiler to happily ignore errors in
> your code and then go on to produce an invalid program ? It's exactly
> the same principle for fpdoc.

I assume you don't want an compiler stop with an exception, on the first
  encountered error.

DoDi