[fpc-devel] What is the status of SymbianOS ?

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho felipemonteiro.carvalho at gmail.com
Sat Oct 15 06:52:57 CEST 2011

There is no single SymbianOS, rather there are various platforms of
SymbianOS which have different APIs and different build environments
and also they change radically between versions.

I worked on adding support for SymbianOS UIQ 2 and 3, but that UIQ
platform was horrible, with the worse build system that I have ever
seen. Now UIQ is dead. The only surviving SymbianOS platform is S60,
and even this one is destined to die out in aprox. 3 years. Nokia is
the last manufacturer still launching Symbian phones, and it is
commited to drop the platform.

I have no idea about how S60 works. In short I'd say that nearly
nothing is ready in the Symbian port for S60. I most worked on trying
to hack around that horrible Symbian build mess, but I doubt that any
of that work applies to the latest S60 because they change a lot
between versions.

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho