[fpc-devel] bug report 20473: Please add a directive to define string=utf8string

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 13 12:20:51 CEST 2011

Am 13.10.2011 12:13, schrieb Marco van de Voort:
> In our previous episode, Sven Barth said:
>>> the utf* designates the type of the default string type. And the same for
>>> unix.  Maybe win32-ansi too.
>>
>> Ok... that you want multiple distributions per platform is clear now.
>> But you would not oppose (in the case of having multiple distributions)
>> a feature like Felipe suggested, do I understand that correctl?
>
> Oh sure. If you read the text, my proposal already assumes it. But base it
> on $H. {$H ansi/utf8/utf16} is good enough.

I thought so, but wanted to be sure.

> The difference is more that I don't think it will solve as much as people
> think, and using this to stitch together code from different origins will
> fail miserably or be unworkable.

For non-inheritance-related code that is encoding-agnostic this should
be not that much of a big problem, because the compiler will add
conversions then. The problametic parts - as you yourself metioned -
will be inheritance (when you need to "guess" the correct string for
your override to work) and - I assume - loading and saving of resources
(DFM/LFM).

Regards,
Sven