[fpc-devel] new string - question on usage

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Thu Oct 13 10:18:32 CEST 2011

On 10/13/2011 04:27 AM, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:

> I don't see a speed penalty in using UTF-16. In contrast to UTF-8 it
> simplifies (and consequently speeds up) all string handling.

If doing code  heavily doing GUI handling (such as the LCL in Lazarus)
and the GUI's API is not UTF-16, all strings passing the API need to be
converted. This will slow down things a lot.

So quite obviously projects like the LCL need to use a "variable" Type
(either dynamic or static) throughout the complete code in some way.

-Michael