[fpc-devel] new string - question on usage

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Wed Oct 12 15:35:55 CEST 2011

On 10/12/2011 02:39 PM, Sven Barth wrote:
>  I'd say yes (the only point I'm really unsure about is "var"-arguments).

I did this list according to what I expect regarding to different
numerical types (like integer and real) or two really different string
types (like short string and long string).

With that, an incorrectly used var parameter results in a compiler error
message, while the other cases result in conversion (not really sure
with type cast).

In fact the var parameter case is most interesting regarding new strings.

While in the other cases the system can decide at runtime what do do
(with respect to the encoding ID (s) ), with a var parameter the type
names might be used to generate an error message at compile time.

-Michael