[fpc-devel] new string - question on usage

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 14:17:57 CEST 2011

On 12/10/2011 11:47, Martin Schreiber wrote:
> idea. Have a look at Firemonkey and you know what I mean. ;-)

For those unfamiliar with Firemonkey, would you mind explaining further.

...but over all, I do agree with your statement, that FPC shouldn't
follow Delphi blindly. Delphi and VCL is Windows centric - it's whole
design doesn't fit other platforms. CLX (and I guess Firemonkey) was/is
different different to VCL for a reason. Cross platform support needs
more thought, eg: UTF-8 as native string type under *nix systems, and
UTF-16 under Windows. Why must some platforms get a speed penalty and
others not, when you force only one encoding on all platforms?

As for you statement regarding "do we need Unicode support everywhere?"
Well, with Delphi 2009's Unicode support, the Delphi language now
supports Unicode too. Thus unit names, class names, property names,
variable names etc can all contain Unicode text in there names. So yes,
Unicode is required throughout the Object Pascal language, and FPC
Compiler. You can't have AnsiString only in some places, and Unicode
support in others. It's all or nothing.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/