[fpc-devel] new strings, rawbyte type, but what about "raw" encoding

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Tue Oct 11 11:36:12 CEST 2011

On 10/11/2011 11:05 AM, Marco van de Voort wrote:
> In our previous episode, Michael Schnell said:
>> I suppose there is a way to just set the encoding of a new string. This
>> should not affect the stored bytes (or words or DWords).
> Afaik it does, but only for ansistring.
What exactly is "ansistring" in this relation ? If there are multiple
(names for the basic) dynamically typed ("new") string type(s). what
advantage is this supposed to provide ?
> IIRC there is also a codepage that
> just means "system default" and assumes the system knows how to convert that
> from/to utf16 (or utf8 on *nix)
I recon the "system default code page" is the encoding used when
assigning a constant string to a string variable. It might/should be
possible that same is different from the coding of the source file. It
might/should be granted that a conversion is not necessary at run time,
but the constant already is stored appropriately in the executable.

OTOH when "ANSI" is used for a constant it might/should or should not be
possible that the current locale setting is used for doing a proper
conversion at runtime.

-Michael