[fpc-devel] new string - question on usage

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 11 10:43:55 CEST 2011

Am 11.10.2011 11:35, schrieb Hans-Peter Diettrich:
> Sven Barth schrieb:
>
>> Nevertheless Jonas' statement is correct, because (currently) String =
>> AnsiString and thus they are the same (and both can currently use code
>> pages).
>
> Really? This were absolutely incompatible with Delphi!

This is because - as you might have noticed - the current code is still
far from a good working condition. So it would be INSANE to change the
default string type as well in the same go. Also Free Pascal takes its
legacy heritage much more serious than Delphi. Thus I doubt (personal
opinion/observation) that the modes Delphi and ObjFPC will change their
default string type to UnicodeString at all. What I can imagine though
is that a new mode DelphiUnicode and a new modeswitch Unicodestrings
will be introduced which do exactly what Delphi 2009 has done: change
the default string to UnicodeString. But unlike Delphi this will be
possible on a per unit base. (That the RTL must be ready for something
like this is a different topic)

Regards,
Sven