[fpc-devel] new string - question on usage

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Tue Oct 11 09:17:29 CEST 2011

Luiz Americo Pereira Camara schrieb:

> Yes and as i said is a no-no (in my humble opinion) for Lazarus to
> change from String to UTF8String or LazString. There are tons of code /
> components under Lazarus/LCL ecosystem that would need such change. Also
> porting Delphi VCL components would be a lot harder.

IMO Lazarus (and FPC) should follow the Delphi way, with strictly
separate Unicode and pre-Unicode versions. Nobody can expect that new
VCL (Unicode) components can be back-ported to Ansi versions.

As long as the LCL is not fully implemented for D7 compatibility, adding
post-D7 extensions is very questionable, at least. It may be fun for the
core developers, but not for the users. Such attempts will end up in a
*third* model, that is compatible with *neither* D7 nor any later Delphi
version :-(

DoDi