[fpc-devel] utf-8 package in Free Pascal

Alexander Klenin klenin at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 16:06:08 CEST 2011

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 00:42, Florian Klämpfl <florian at freepascal.org> wrote:
>> Anyway, what I suggest is IMO a good compromise and should satisfy both
>> sides --
>> Felipe can continue development of his packages unobstucted,
>> while the quality of FPC will not suffer.
>
> That's why I proposed a branch and that's what branches are for.

No, the branches (in svn, at least) are for code that is an
alternative/in-progress
imlpementation of some features, not for features rejected from the main branch.

> For example a TString* class for UTF-8 might even go into classes. But this
> needs to be done carefully.

There is, again, a continuum between careful development and stangation.
While acknowledging great work that FPC team has done on the former,
I'd venture to say that is came uncomfortably close to the latter.

--
Alexander S. Klenin