[fpc-devel] utf-8 package in Free Pascal

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho felipemonteiro.carvalho at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 13:45:02 CEST 2011

On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 12:40 PM, Marco van de Voort <marcov at stack.nl> wrote:
> True, because we never planned to have support for such utf8 only libraries
> in the first place.
> Then factor out the relevant LCL independent stuff to an external project.
>
> If it is non visual, it doesn't automatically mean it should go into FPC.

You know very well that this is not a workable solution. It would be a
huge work to set up such an intermediary project between FPC and
Lazarus.

I think that's a very radical posture. I can even understand that you
may not want utf-8 support in the RTL which you develop, that you may
not want to use fputf8 in your projects, but block packages which you
don't develop??? You don't have to use it if you don't like it.

> 1) There is an unit ansistrings in Delphi for just that.

Not nearly what I want. Just to start with, ansistring is not the same
as utf8string.

> 2) And if you use the UTF8 spin of the unicode RTL, the default TStringlist is UTF8.

Also not a solution, because then fpvectorial and fpspreadsheet would
not be able to compile in other RTL modes.

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho