[fpc-devel] utf-8 package in Free Pascal

Alexander Klenin klenin at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 13:23:13 CEST 2011

On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 21:13, Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho
<felipemonteiro.carvalho at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 11:38 AM, Marco van de Voort <marcov at stack.nl> wrote:
>> These things are related to Lazarus UTF8
>> decision and thus logically belong in Lazarus,
>
> Not really. One can write a non-visual library which uses utf8string
> as its main string type, why not? But the RTL is not adequate for
> utf8string projects and will still not be after the Unicode RTL is
> completed.

Felipe, I agree with you in theory, but I'd still recommend you to move
utf8string together with fpvectorial and fpspreadsheet into Lazarus.

This way, you can develop much faster, without the need to fight for
your changes,
and without the need for a half-duplicate CCR repository.

As for visual vs non-visual distinction, Lazarus can be used to produce console
applications just as well, so moving to Lazarus does not automatically means
depending on LCL.

--
Alexander S. Klenin