[fpc-devel] utf-8 package in Free Pascal

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho felipemonteiro.carvalho at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 12:13:28 CEST 2011

On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 11:38 AM, Marco van de Voort <marcov at stack.nl> wrote:
> These things are related to Lazarus UTF8
> decision and thus logically belong in Lazarus,

Not really. One can write a non-visual library which uses utf8string
as its main string type, why not? But the RTL is not adequate for
utf8string projects and will still not be after the Unicode RTL is
completed.

This is the case of fpvectorial and fpspreadsheet for example. If
there is no fpc package with UTF-8 routines then it becomes impossible
to write utf-8 non-visual packages which do not depend on the LCL.
FPSpreadsheet already contains code copied from the LCL utf-8
routines, I want to stop this multiplication of code copies and unify
all routines in one base place, which logically should be in Free
Pascal.

> till they are superceded in 2.8 by proper unicode support.

The Unicode RTL is not satisfactory for utf-8 projects. One cannot
seriously expect to be able to write a project which uses utf8string
if you don't even have a utf-8 TStringList to share between various
libraries.

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho