[fpc-devel] New Windows gdb-binary

Martin lazarus at mfriebe.de
Sun Oct 2 16:10:31 CEST 2011

On 02/10/2011 15:02, Joost van der Sluis wrote:
> btw: I could not reproduce the external-linker and stabs crashes. Can
> you give me some more info?
Hm, I have to check what version of the external linker I have.

C:\FPC\trunk\bin\i386-win32>ld.exe -v
GNU ld version 2.16.91 20050827

Maybe time to check for something newer

I will look into it. Maybe it is a case of mixed symbols... I will do
some more testing

>> Such expression are used in breakpoint-conditions.
>> - dyn array: to be tested under dwarf 3, probably no longer needing the
>> "^". with dwarf2 dyn array do need the "^"
>> - strings: little tested, they are treated as dyn array of chars.
>>
>> Obviously, with dwarf3 strings may be improved, and the IDE will get
>> better detection.
>>
>> In dwarf2/stabs they are reported as "^(array of char)" which could also
>> be dyn-array.
>> It is possible to get the type-name, but:
>> - the user may have aliased it: "type MyAnsi = type Ansistring;"
>> - the user may have a local type "type Ansistring = array of char;"
>> (0-based)
> We should find a way to detect if -gw3 is used. Then you don't need
> those adaptations for strings anymore. Just do 'p variable', it will
> always give the right result.

True, but:

There are already checks for stabs vs dwarf => but they are of little
use, since symbol type info can be mixed, if packages where compiled
with diff settings.