[fpc-devel] FPDoc projects future

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 13:12:22 CET 2011

On 30 November 2011 01:33, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
> In my review of the fpdoc project option some questions popped up. The most
> important question: should fpdoc be usable for creating online help only, or
> should it also allow users to create offline documentation on their local
> machine? When a user can create documentation files for local use, the
> configuration and directory structure of the current machine deserve some
> considerations.

I fail to see the problem here. fpdoc can already generate online and
offline help formats. HTML for online usage, and CHM, INF, TXT, MAN
and PDF for offline usage.

> The --import options specify both the locations of the content files, of
> related packages, as well as the link target locations (prefixes). This
> requires a fixed directory structure, or else the content files can not be

Correct, each developer organizes there files in there own way. What
works for me, might not work for you. So there is no way fpdoc can
simply assume or automatically figure out each developers file
organization style.

> fixed relative references? Or should HTML documentation be deprecated, in
> favor of more position-independent CHM files? (dunno whether this would
> really help).

There is a valid use-case for plain HTML output, so I don't think it
should be deprecated.

  - Graeme -