[fpc-devel] RE $MODE Delphi

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Tue Nov 29 21:53:06 CET 2011

On 29 Nov 2011, at 19:19, Thaddy wrote:

> There's a documented delphi version: almost complete D7 support *by the compiler* and by now d2006 now almost feature complete.

That only works in one way: the compiler can support most of D7 and D2006, but if you check for everything the compiler supports then the guarantee can only be that the code will be compilable by D2006. It won't say anything about compilation with earlier Delphi versions (unless you add, as Tomas mentioned, separate STRICTDELPHI modes for different Delphi versions).

> I am trying to restrict Delphi mode a Little further. Only on the compiler level and only the obvious. Just like it pretends to be the case already.

Delphi mode is not about restrictions. Delphi mode is about changing the compiler's behaviour so that Delphi code can be more easily compiled with FPC, e.g. different procvar syntax, don't require that parameter lists are repeated in the implementation unless you are overloading, allow identifier conflicts between fields and method parameters, ... I think most of the changes that are not simply about syntax differences, make the compiler in fact less strict rather than stricter.

> $STRICTDELPHI is probably a bad name.

It actually perfectly describes what you want to do, be it only regarding things that can be checked by only relying on the compiler. I'm not sure whether the limited applicability of such a feature (mainly usable if you don't use, like you, the standard RTL of either FPC or Delphi) makes it worth it to add a ton of small checks sprinkled all over the compiler though.

Jonas