[fpc-devel] Unicode proceedings

Luca Olivetti luca at ventoso.org
Thu Nov 17 10:04:34 CET 2011

Al 17/11/2011 2:15, En/na Hans-Peter Diettrich ha escrit:

> Abusing strings for binary data is a bad idea.

I use strings extensively as buffers: strings in delphi/fpc {$H+} are so
convenient to use that the eventual performance hit doesn't matter to me.
You know, I like the fact that I can simply do a

ReceiveBuffer:=ReceiveBuffer+NewData

without risking a buffer overflow, or that I can just use Copy to
extract part of the buffer, etc., etc.

> Delphi provides an TBytes
> type for that purpose, and FPC could add more useful features to it.

I didn't know TBytes, I googled it, and it seems it's defined as an
array of byte, so it's not really as convenient to use as a string.

Bye
--
Luca