[fpc-devel] Unicode proceedings

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Wed Nov 16 10:44:05 CET 2011

In our previous episode, Sven Barth said:
> On 15.11.2011 12:41, Michael Schnell wrote:
> > While neither A nor B is Delphi XE compatible in any way, C seems a bit
> > similar to what Emb does. But AFAIK, Delphi does not provide an
> > unambiguous, well defined and understandable paradigm (such as a
> > Object-like Parent/Child relationship) for the features of the different
> > string types. So the FPC team should be free do do a decent definition.
>
> Huh? As far as I understand it B is the closest to Delphi's and current
> trunk's implementation.

It's a mix of all three actually. It is typed(A), there are two (B)
implementations, and the memory layout of both implementations have
similarities that makes Rawbytestring possible, making rawbytestring the
base memory representation the others "inherit" from (C).

Finding (C) is a bit of a stretch though. A and B are way more true than C.

A is from the type system view. B is from the implementation (runtime
helpers) view. C only for rawbytestring (which is very, very limited and way
overestimated in all these discussions)