[fpc-devel] About GetTickCount

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 11:13:53 CET 2011

Please stop spreading FUD!

> - dependency on LCL

I have fixed this well over a year or two ago. The only LCL dependency
was the registration of the EpikTimer component on the Lazarus
component palette. I simply split the original lazarus package into
two packages (runtime and design-time) - that was all that was
required. Hardly a LCL dependency!

> - Now() used on non-i386 my trust in such a component instantly went below
> zero. Someone who writes code like that clearly has no clue.

I just did a grep search for Now() calls, and found a whopping ONE
result - used as a "wall clock" feature, giving the current time of
day. This function is NOT used for any of the timing functionality at
all!

As I said before:
EpikTimer under Windows using the Multimedia API for high precision
timing: QueryPerformanceCounter(). Under ALL other platforms, it uses
the fpgettimeofday() call implemented in FPC

> And as far as I remember, I sent you a corrected version ?

I remember this the other way round, but that's not important.

I'll gladly send you my version of EpikTimer if you want to double
check, but really, stop spreading FUD about this component. The
mailing lists are full of your badmouth comments every time EpikTimer
is mentioned.

Just for for clarity, I checked out the latest EpikTimer from Lazarus
CCR's subversion repository (I believe this to be the official home
for EpikTimer). There are very few differences compared to my copy. My
copy has the following change:

  - 3 line of code changed in the TEpikTimer.SystemSleep() for 32-bit
non-Windows systems. Basicaly just using the Sleep() call as defined
in FPC. So in fact the whole lot of IFDEF's in
TEpikTimer.SystemSleep() can be removed because all platforms now use
the same code.

So please checkout the following code to make sure you use the latest EpikTimer.

svn co https://lazarus-ccr.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/lazarus-ccr/components/epiktimer/

  - Graeme -