[fpc-devel] Problem with Now() and time changed by ntpd

Henry Vermaak henry.vermaak at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 10:31:05 CET 2011

On 01/11/11 22:01, Marco van de Voort wrote:
> But do you agree that _when_ it happens, the directory is rescanned in the same
> thread as the gettime() call, outside programmer's control? And that that
> breaks code for people that don't expect the runtime to access the harddisk
> without they explicitely solicating that? (e.g. to preserve some realtime
> behaviour(*))?

(I presume that the * here means "insert your definition here").  This
is exactly your problem, _assuming_ that you can get any realtime
behaviour out of this call.  If you need that, use performance counters.

>> If it's more important to you to be
>> fast than correct, then you can weigh up the risks yourself, just
>> don't force it upon all the users of the freepascal compiler.
>
> That is an symmetrical argument. I could argue exactly the same about
> correctness. I don't need it, so please don't force it on all users.

No, it's not balanced.  Most users would not like to go out of their way
to make a broken implementation correct.  Most users are willing,
however, to go out of their way to make something perform better if they
need it.

Henry