[fpc-devel] Problem with Now() and time changed by ntpd

Tomas Hajny XHajT03 at hajny.biz
Wed Nov 2 10:20:50 CET 2011

On Wed, November 2, 2011 09:56, Marco van de Voort wrote:
 .
 .
> Anyway, there are other reasons to go for a plugin style for this, namely
> that you can't predict what libs a certain *nix might need to effectively
> monitor the mutation of files. (e.g. that allows to do it in a thread)
>
> But to avoid the chaos of umpteen plugin units, we should maybe just
> define
> a certain plugin unit (say "cdelphi" or so) that includes all plugins you
> typically need for bigger apps (cwstring,clocale,cthreads,cwhatevertime),
> and see if we can convince Lazarus to use it.  It would save both projects
> quite some support issues.

I don't get the relation of plugins to the original problem. You don't
need any libc (c*) to solve that problem, and using libc wouldn't change
the fact that the possibly required reinitialization might take some time
(within the EpochToLocal call) according to information about the libc
behaviour which appeared in some other messages of this thread because
libc apparently doesn't use perform the checks and reinitialization
asynchronously either (I can imagine good reasons for this being the case
like that it would be a completely unnecessary overhead for many
applications).

Tomas