[fpc-devel] MIPS

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-devel at telemetry.co.uk
Mon May 30 12:16:46 CEST 2011

Michael Schnell wrote:
> There even is a Linux for PIC32
>
> http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=2519&param=en546018
>

> No idea if this is really useful ?

Although despite my enthusiasm for Linux, for hardware like that I find
myself asking /why/. I think there's a fairly clear demarcation between
projects/products which really do need a multitasking OS with networking
etc., and those that quite simply need to fiddle a few inputs and outputs.

The real problem is memory size: I remember a development job a few
years ago that was basically well-specified and well-planned, but by the
time the multitude of UI screens had been roughed out it was painfully
obvious that it wouldn't fit in the targeted board's address space. Then
it turned out that the compiler supported paging but that the linker
offset the tables by one entry: I managed to fix the binaries but we
/still/ ran out of space.

That experience is, in part, why these days I am more interested in
native than cross compilation. If you can get the basic functionality of
a project running on a "real" computer to the point where you can gauge
its performance and requirements, you're then in a far stronger position
to specify the target hardware.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk